n. (also h) (pl. Hs or H's)
1 the eighth letter of the alphabet (see AITCH).
2 anything having the form of an H (esp. in comb.: H-girder).
abbr. (also H.)
2 (of a pencil-lead) hard.
3 henry, henrys.
4 (water) hydrant.
5 sl. heroin.
symb. Chem. the element hydrogen.
* * *H variant UK USMain entry: h
* * *1. the eighth letter of the English alphabet. »
There are two h's in high.2. any sound represented by this letter.3. (used as a symbol for) the eighth (of an actual or possible series): »
row H in a theater.4. Slang. heroin.Usage A nonstandard pronunciation «haych» sometimes occurs.H2 «aych», noun, plural H's.anything shaped like a capital H: »
I had a wound here that was like a T, But now 'tis like an H (Shakespeare).h (no period),an abbreviation or symbol for the following:1. henry (unit of electrical inductance).2. hydrocortisone.3. Planck's constant.h.,an abbreviation for the following:1. Mineralogy. a) hard. b) hardness.2. Physics, Chemistry. head (unit of pressure).3. height.4. heir.5. heller1.6. high.7. Baseball. hit or hits.8. hour or hours.9. husband.H (no period),an abbreviation or symbol for the following:1. of a lead pencil: a) hard. b) hardness.2. henry (unit of electrical inductance).3. histocompatibility.4. hydrogen (chemical element).5. Physics. a) intensity of magnetic field. b) the earth's horizontal component of magnetic field.H1 (no period),protium (an isotope of hydrogen).H2 (no period),H3 (no period),tritium (an isotope of hydrogen).H+ (no period),hydrogen ion.H.,an abbreviation for the following:1. harbor.2. hard.3. high.4. hour.
* * *[āch] I1) the eighth letter of the alphabet■ denoting the next after G in a set of items, categories, etc■ h Chess denoting the file on the right-hand edge of the board, as viewed from White's side2) H a shape like that of a capital H3) H Music (in the German system) the note B naturalII 1.abbr.■ hard (used in describing grades of pencil lead)
a 2H pencil■ height (in giving the dimensions of an object)■ informal heroin2.symbol■ Chemistry enthalpy■ the chemical element hydrogen■ Physics magnetic field strength
* * *: the eighth letter of the English alphabet[count]
The word “hand” begins with an h.[noncount]
The word “hand” begins with h.
* * *H [H] (also h) noun, abbreviation [eɪtʃ] [eɪtʃ]the 8th letter of the English alphabet
‘Hat’ begins with (an) H/‘H’.see also ↑H-bomb
* * *H(eɪtʃ)the eighth letter of the Roman alphabet, ancient and modern, representing historically the Semitic
Useful english dictionary. 2012.